Friday, June 25, 2010

I'm too lazy to write good

I have ideas on stuff to write, but I haven't. I've been super lazy lately, and for no reason.
I mean, I finished high school a month ago. It felt great. But I waste so much time doing...nothing. Not watching TV or movies or listening to music, or reading, or doing anything responsible like researching classes to register for or taking placement exams. I just don't do anything. And I think I've found the problem.
I wasn't really into any true pop culture until about age 15. And then, my first show was 24. Now, 24 was never a truly deep drama. It was a gripping action thrill ride. It was plain damn fun. And that's why I loved it.
From there, shows I got into were fun, and that's why I got into them. Lost was right up my alley with the sci-fi, epic music, and great characters. The Office and Scrubs were wacky, earnest, and hilarious. Arrested Development was original, extremely quotable, and had amazing acting. How I Met Your Mother had amazing continuity and some good characters. Firefly and Dollhouse created compelling worlds that were previously unexplored in such a manner. Films like Memento, King of Kong, Garden State, and Primer drew me in immensely. All of those shows and movies were so easy to watch for me because of how much fun I had watching them.
But as I realized how much I loved TV and movies, and how I would like to learn to analyze them intelligently, I started approaching some material in purely a critical fashion. And that really ended up hurting me. I couldn't get into Twin Peaks at all. I didn't enjoy Kill Bill as much as I should have. Zombieland was disappointing.
I enjoy dissecting a film I take it. So, a prerequisite to dissecting it is just taking it in. When I think too much while viewing or listening to something, I can't enjoy or hate it. I can only understand it.
That's why this blog is changing format. Reviews aren't going to be formal. I'm just going to talk about whatever the hell I want in whatever way I want. It'll be easier to write, and no one will care because nobody has seen this blog yet.
This way, I'll stop over-thinking shit and just write.

So...yeah. Adios.

No comments:

Post a Comment