Monday, June 28, 2010

Pacing in the films of Quentin Tarantino

I'll preface this by saying I haven't seen every Tarantino movie. I've enjoyed the ones I have seen, though. I'll update the post once I've seen all of his films. Just want to put out my thoughtz

In movies by Quentin Tarantino, a common complaint seems to be that sequences can be drawn-out. Keeping that complaint in mind, I watched Reservoir Dogs for the first time yesterday (yeah the first time).
I see where the critical group is coming from, but I find the extended sequences very important to Tarantino's films. For instance, in Reservoir Dogs, the movie begins with a long sequence of the men at a diner discussing tips and Madonna and ribbing one another. Now, some might find this sequence unimportant to the rest of the film, but I feel (as do many other much smarter people, I'm sure) that it gives a cultural context to these psychopaths. These men, as is shown more and more in the film, are, to put it bluntly, fucking crazy. Yet, they can discuss the social conventions of tipping and the meaning behind "Like a Virgin." By beginning with such mundane yet society-defining discussion, we can better view the twisted nature of the focal characters and better understand the convoluted moral codes these men carry.
Kill Bill works in a similar way. For instance, the quiet and slow scene of the Bride having coffee with Vernita provides context to the rest of the movie. The Bride maintains a level or morality, though it is twisted, even when consumed by revenge. It's also a contrast to the lengthly fights in the rest of the movie. From there we can see how the brutality of this violence and comprehend the depth of the anger in the Bride.
So while this pacing may be tiring to some, I find it extremely useful towards communicating Tarantino's message in each of his films.

No comments:

Post a Comment